“O you who possess Eemaan (faith), save yourselves and your families from the Fire.” [Sooratut-Tahreem (66): 6]

“…Flee unto Allah…” [Surah Ath-Thaariyaat 51:50]


torsdag 19. mai 2011

Flash cards from Smart Ark - a review

More than just flash cards!




I have introduced my kids to the arabic flash cards I purchased from Smart Ark. And to me I find them to be much more than just average flash cards. With the clear (and big enough for children to read) text (in both english and arabic) at the bottom of each card, the color coded idea of each subject and the laminated finish gives a lot of possibilities insha Allah.




When I first introduced the cards I did it as regular flash cards and showed them one and one card and we named each one in our language and in arabic. After that I left them with the cards to explore by themselves. Here is what they did:  First they looked at them and asked eachother about what was on the card like we just did together. Then Adam discovered that some had the same color and others different and he had Roqaya help him sorting them by color. After that they got down at the floor starting to place them after oneanother by color on the floor so that it became five rows of cards. And then they pointed and named different objects. The cards are round edged and easy to handle for the children and they was durable enough to be handled by Roqaya (who for some reason loves to bend cards like that). Another variation they did was putting three and three cards of the same color and make rows.

 


Next time I introduced the cards we first looked through them as flash cards and then I placed four cards which they were familiar with (i.e not new words/objects) before them and asked them to cover their eyes and I removed one card and they got to tell me which one that were missing (in arabic). I shuffled the cards and we also changed and put in some of the new words/objects and they learned quickly some new words and had fun with the challenge by getting to notice which card that missed each time, masha Allah.



And then I put up a extra challenge for Adam the next time, I placed before him three cards at the time and asked him to name them first. After that I pointed to him were the name was written in arabic at each card, then I chose one of the objects and wrote the named at the board and he was to recognize which objects name I wrote. He has startet spelling all kinds of words lately and this was a good practice for him spelling arabic. Also when I placed cards which contains objects with some similar and almost similiar letters he could fast point out the correct answer, masha Allah.







They have a lot of fun with them and asks me to play with the cards by themselves and the only thing I would change if I could would be that the box contained a bit more space so that it would be easy for a toddler to put the cards back into it, the box just fits a bit too perfect right now.


 


 
Next on my list is to put the cards on the table and give them a marker and ask f.ex Roqaya to mark the first letter on the card with the "shams" on and f.ex ask Adam to mark the third letter on the card with the "daraja". And then they have to know what does shams/daraja mean, look were is it, grab it, find the word written in arabic and mark the correct letter. This can be done since the cards are laminated and then the marker easily can be wiped off insha Allah. I can even think of more ways to apply the cards but I guess this would be it for now.

They also learned two words in english today,  my little speller did not regocnize the words in our language (because they are written in english and he dont know to read that) when he tried to put them together so I thought him two of them and he was very happy! He was like: I can speak english!

 


 
Jazak Allah khair sister Fehmida in Smart Ark for producing such a great product! Looking forward to try rest of the products, and continuing using this one insha Allah!

5 kommentarer:

Umm Suhailah sa...

Bismillaah

As Salaamu Alaikum

Mashaa'Allaah great review!!! I love the fact that you put the pros and cons in this post! The fact that you describe the cards in a way that makes someone who is interested in the product satisfied with what they will purchase. Glad to know for "card benders" it works out for them too Mashaa'Allaah. lol :)

Fehmida Shah sa...

Asalamaualikum warahmatullahi wabarahkatuhu dear sister Umm Adam. Jazahkhallah khayr for the review and feedback! Insha'Allah I am asking sisters, what kind of topics that they would want to me to cover in the next Zaynab And Zakariya book. Perhaps an issue that has has not been done yet, such as "when some one dies" or "Learning about Fairtrade." Any suggestions would be wonderful insha'Allah. Jazahkhallah khayr again sis.

Anonym sa...

Umm Adam said:

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullah dear sis Umm Suhaila: Jazak Allah khair for your kind comment sister, Im sorry I did not reply before :)


Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh uhktee Fehmida! Your are very welcome, to be honest we use these flash cards almost every day!

Oh, so nice that your on it to make another book with Zaynab and Zakariya, masha Allah! We are doing the recycle theme pre-ramadan insha Allah and Im really looking forward to use your book then!

I like both your suggestions, masha Allah! If I had to choose between those I think I would go for "when someone dies".. I know a lot of sisters struggling to talk to their children about that subject even though islam has so reasonable answers, subhan Allah. I`ll think a bit about if I have any suggestions and email you insha Allah. Barak Allahu fiky :)

Umm Maimoonah sa...

Sister Fahmida, while I am awaiting your stuff, I think it is a very good idea to have the next Z and Z book dealing with death Insha Allaah!

Fehmida sa...

Asalamaualaikum warahmatullahi wabarahkatuhu dear Sis Umm Adam and dear sis Umm Maimoonah. Jazahkhallah khayr for the feedback! I too am inclined to cover the subject of "When someone dies" I think my 5 year old would benefit from this too. Insha'Allah will start the research. Any suggestions would be much appreciated insha'Allah. Jazahkhallah khayr again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...