“O you who possess Eemaan (faith), save yourselves and your families from the Fire.” [Sooratut-Tahreem (66): 6]

“…Flee unto Allah…” [Surah Ath-Thaariyaat 51:50]


lørdag 24. september 2011

Summary week 21, Weather

Assalaamu alaikum dear akhawaat,


We have finished week 21 of the pre school curriculum called islam is my life, this time learning more about weather and seasons. We already had our weather wheel from IBB for a while and also a smaller wheel from a muslim child with the seasons in arabic which we are using for our circle time.


I introduced this weeks theme with a book I picked up from my parents house on our visit this summer. This book did actually my mother bought for me when I was very young, I remember looking in it when I was younger. The book is very simple and perfect (in my opinion) for preschoolers and kindergarten, and maybe even for older children too. In the back there are also a number of suggested activities to do regarding weather, like f.ex spraying wather in the sun and watch the rainbow colors, how great! I tried to find more books of this series but it seems they are not in sale anymore, subhanAllah, finally a nice book in our language and they have stopped it.. qadrallah masha Allah. Anyways, we learned a lot from it (including me). And if sisters in Norway have this book somewhere, just bring it out, you will find it very nice insha Allah!


Then we did the weather mini work book from sis Umm An`Numan. They really loved
it as usual, masha Allah. And I got so impressed with their writing this time, I read to them the questions and they answer, Adam writes alone with some spelling masha Allah, and for Roqaya I dot the letters for her to trace after me. They really seemed to enjoy the focus, and we had to take a break during our lesson due to something else and when we started again they were right back on track masha Allah.
Adams writing
Roqayas tracing
The learned the names of Allah al Haleem and al Hakeem


We used some of the activities from the minibook and pasted in our nature studies book (we just started that one).

We did this evaporation experiment after the idea from Umm Maimoonah. (And just mentioning this makes me realize we forgot to use our weather study unit from Umm Tafari!, subhan Allah, our lap top crashed so I have another one and I guess thats the reason I forgot it- it was not in my folder - we will save up for later insha Allah) They were really exited and within the first hour I guessed they checked it like ten times ;) But after a few days all the wather had evaporated and they were like, oh- yes now it has evaporated! So fun to hear them say such words (in norwegian of course- but still fun).

We read in aqeeda (book of sheikh Yahya) about Allahs aboveness.  Adam was a bit bored when I tried to ask questions about how do we know..he was a bit like: "we know this- its in the Quran"...  Well, well, alhamdulillah, Im just sincerly glad he knows!

For language, norwegian Roqaya learned the letter O, and she did the workbook. Adam joined us and wanted to do the workbook this week to, so that was fine of course.

 He did a lot of writing from his own initiative and he wanted to try to read everyday masha Allah. Roqaya gets very inspired when she sees him writing and I got a few pictures of her while she gave it a try too. She is writing the last weeks letters, O, i and L.


 
For arabic we headstarted our new workbooks for next year too.. But this was Abu Adams idea and we went through with it and it seems great. We will be using books from this arabic curriculum,


Roqaya will use the books prepared for 3 year olds

And Adam from 4-5 year olds. These books just teaches how the letter looks like in the beginning of the word, but I also shows him the middle and end form of the letter as he truly seems ready for this.

So they did the first few pages. Some of the activities are not islamically appropriate, f.ex draw your mother, draw eyes and nose on this face etc but these we will skip and do something else. Roqaya actually herself defaced the mama in this activity, she was only to color her.


The letter focused on were mim, and we used sandpaper letters too, and we did write it in the air, and they made mim together physically.



We also used these puzzle cards, recognizing meem and sorting the cards with meem and without meem, and learning the vocabulary.

No maths this week eiter, except for them playing with their father with building blocks and he makes them add and subtract and count, its a great activity and I guess it will count as math still :)

Yes, and for our circle time we used these dua cards for weather from the learning roots game. They only knew the one we say during rainfall and the others were new to them, so this was an introduction. I thought them the meanings of the dua, translations of some of the arabic words and then we placed the cards and I read the dua out load and they were to recognize which dua it were and grab the correct card, it was fun and they learn to recognize the different ones, but has not memorized them yet.



We also kept reading this book over and over (and over). Its a lift the flap book at a pre school level and it seemed like they found it boring until we flapped the last page and the crocodile jumps up and they both screamed and laughed.. they loved the unexpected ending!


Now we are up for our last week of this curriculum insha Allah. 

5 kommentarer:

Umm Maimoonah sa...

Masha Allaah simply wonderful! Love Adam's writing. O yes they just get bored asking the same Questions on Aqeedah. Maimoonah is the same too, she literally stopped answering me as all the answers are Allaah and she just points up after sometime lol! I guess we better realize that they know all this Umm Adam!! We are learning too! I like the fact that you get lot of books over there masha Allaah! A blessing indeed! Love you all for the sake of Allaah!

Amatullah sa...

Asalamualaikum,
This is the first proper look I've had at your blog. MashAllah the amount of 'work' you get through with your kids is amazing. It's given me a lot to think about regarding the pace I'm going with mine. i think I'm a bit hesitant to bring it on full force with all the workbooks as I don't want go down the 'school at home' route just yet but the amount of time and energy you are devoting to your childrens education and the progress you are making with your kids is inspiring. I remember the evaporation experiement from Umm Maimoonahs blog. I will inshAllah give it a go when I do a weather topic with my kids.

Umm Adam sa...

Assalaamu alaikum sisters,

Umm Maimoonah, jazak Allah khair, You are so correct, we are learning too :) May he whom whos sake you love us love you <3

Amatullah, how nice to have you around sister! lol, I dont feel like full force at all :) We only do 1 topic a day inn add. to circle time, and they run for their books when I suggest it and they usually wants to do more pages, but I feel its wiser to stop when they want more than to continue at this age. I also sit together with them and are ready to give positive feed back or help when needed. But if they seemed bored, like Adam last week because the level was to low for him - I stop it immidatly and we do something else or just play instead. Its lots of smiles and very un-school like, really. This became a loong comment :) Looking forward to see what you are up to next, and with the weather topic too insha Allah!

Umm Suhailah sa...

Bismillaah

As Salaamu Alaiki!

Wow Mashaa'Allaah very nice summary! Lol@Maimoonah points up!
I'm learning a lot Mashaa'Allaah...as I too bore my kiddos with the same thing :) I guess I need to spice mine up a bit. Baraka'Allaahu'Feekum for sharing.
I don't think my girls like workbooks....and they sure don't like my white board when I start asking questions lol. Sis Umm An- Nu'man's part 2 home school helped me a lot- she said preschool should be a short time.........I think this is my problem as I am long winded :) love you for the sake of Allaah!

Umm Adam sa...

Wa alaikum salaam wa rahmatullah sister,

Yes, the series from sister Umm An`numan was great! I helped me a lot too! Keeping it short is very clever, and necessary. I noticed how Roqaya has a much wider attention span now than 6 months ago so this is age related and child related I guess.. It think its important to try to teach our young children in a way that will make them love to learn insha Allah, and all children are so different subhan Allah:)I learn so much from all the sisters, alhamdulillah!
May He whom whos sake you love us love you! Barak Allahu fiky <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...